About Nightingale Nurses
Nightingale Nurses is a new initiative and model of care developed by Dementia Australia SA which aims to meet the needs of people living with dementia and their families.
Best practice care for people living with dementia is a palliative approach from the time of diagnosis.
Using this approach ensures care is person-centred and should offer:
- Continuity of care
- Psychosocial and spiritual support
- Optimal treatment of symptoms and quality of life
- Family care
- Education of health care teams
- Interdisciplinary teamwork
- Available in home, residential aged care, community settings and hospital
However, in reality people with dementia have not always received this gold standard of care provision. The goal of Nightingale Nurses and Dementia Australia SA is to fill some of those gaps in care which exist. By doing this we aim to enable people living with dementia:
- To stay at home longer and maximise their independence
- To avoid unnecessary admissions to the acute hospital setting
- To achieve and maintain a better quality of life and positive relationships
- To have a voice in their future care and decision making by planning ahead
Dementia care. Family support.